Because I had lately knee injury I remembered about very important principles which
HELPS MUSCLE AND SOFT TISSUE RECOVERY AND SPEEDS UP PROCESS OF PHYSIOTHERAPY.
• Important especially in first 24-48 hours after injury.
• It´s allow fibrin to create the cloth while the cloth is formed the body can start heeling itself repairing damaged tissue in the next few days.
• Pain relief, give us a feeling of numbing tissue effect.
• Reducing inflammation by cooling area of the body.
• Slowing down metabolism of the cells, tissues do not need so much nutrients and oxygen. This is preventing secondary hypoxia, or secondary tissue death.
• Keep it 15 up to 20 min every 3-4 hours, as many times as possible in first 2 days of injury.
• Reduce swelling (swelling causes pain because increases the pressure in the area, especially on the nerve endings. It restricts range of motion and also decreases strength of the muscle).
• Swelling is removed through lymph system, keep that injured part elevated.
Handbook of pain relief in older adults: an evidence-based approach, second edition, New York, Humana Press, 210p.